Sunday, November 05, 2006

Discovering the flickr

I've had a talk with one of my colleagues yesterday. He has finally discovered flickr.com and was extremely excited with it's simplicity and usability. "Look," he told me, pointing on the menu buttons. "These are just simple boxes. And when you place our mouse cursor over one of them, it just shows a border around it. That should be about 5 lines of code." And later, "And their Yahoo maps with labels showing some images is just what I am currently doing for one of my projects!"

Yes, that is all correct - flickr, yahoo, google and all the other web 2.0 companies are not as much about technology itself as microsoft or apple used to be when they appeared. And it is not only the great idea - google was not the first search engine to appear. It is a little bit of both, plus great management, plus a business angel and/or VC fund to help you. And I am really excited, that people surrounding me start to understand this which becomes a first step to creating something worthy in the field of web-technologies and not just writing code.

No comments: